Emerald Ballet Theatre’s Summer Teaching Institute provides dancers with an introduction to the theoretical knowledge, teaching practicum experience, and mentoring needed to become a successful ballet teacher.
Teaching Institute Week (July):
Successful applicants will need to sign up for one week of Teaching Institute. Applicants will note their preference of dates and applicants will be assigned to a week according to their availability and space availability. A week of Teaching Institute will include: a 2-hour ballet class at EBA 4 days per week, 5 hours of Intensive C programming at EBA (one day), 6 hours of teaching at a Bellevue School District elementary school, and a 2-hour training and teaching methods class (see below). Total hours of programming is 21. Cost is $260.00 per week.
Training and Teaching Methods Class (June):
The training and teaching methods class will occur on Tuesday, June 6, at the studio.
Practicum Week (July):
Teaching Practicum Week is an opportunity to gain additional experience and further polish the teaching skills learned during Teaching Institute Week. Teaching Practicum will take place at a Bellevue School District elementary school, and dancers must provide their own transportation. Dancers who wish to apply for an extended teaching practicum must complete one week of Teaching Institute and must sign up for an additional week of Summer Intensive – Level C.
BENEFITS FOR STUDENT TEACHERS
- Develop a deeper understanding of dance. Through the exercise of teaching, student teachers must examine everything they know, break it down, and impart their knowledge to others.
- Gain teaching experience in a supportive environment with an experienced mentor. Practicum experience will be a 1:3 ratio between instructors and student teachers.
- Earn volunteer hours for school.
- After successful completion of the Teaching Institute, student teachers may be eligible for future volunteer positions at Emerald Ballet. High school juniors and seniors may be eligible for paid positions in our Ballerina Birthday Parties program, or offsite PreBallet classes.
- Build your resume for college and future dance endeavors.
Applicants must be entering 8th – 12th grade in Fall of 2016. Students should submit an application by May 18, 2016 to the Emerald Ballet Academy office (Attn: Christy Hanson).
Please email Office Administrator Christy Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.